* 3/4 cup(s) whole-wheat flour
* 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon(s) baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
* 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
* 2 large egg whites, at room temperature (see Tip)
* 1 cup(s) sugar, or 1/2 cup Splenda
* 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
* 2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
* 1/4 teaspoon(s) lemon extract (optional)
* 1 cup(s) grated zucchini, lightly packed (about 8 ounces)
* 2 tablespoon(s) chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 mini 6-by-3-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
3. Whisk egg whites, sugar (or Splenda), applesauce, oil and lemon extract (if using) in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients; slowly, mix in the zucchini mixture with a rubber spatula. Fold in walnuts. Do not overmix. Transfer the batter to the prepared pans.
5. Bake the loaves until a toothpick comes out almost clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely.