Chinese Red-Cooked Pork Shoulder
* 1/4 cup(s) packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup(s) dry sherry
* 1/4 cup(s) seasoned rice vinegar
* 1/4 cup(s) plus 1 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
* 2 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
* 2 strip(s) (3" by 3/4" each) fresh orange peel
* 1 stick(s) cinnamon
* 1 whole(s) star anise
* 1 bag(s) (1 pound) peeled baby carrots
* 4 pound(s) well-trimmed boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks*
* 2 package(s) (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
1. In 6- to 6 1/2-quart slow cooker bowl, combine sugar, sherry, rice vinegar, and 1/4 cup soy sauce. Stir in onion, ginger, garlic, orange peel, cinnamon, star anise, and carrots. Top with pork; do not stir. Cover slow cooker with lid, and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting 8 hours.
2. When pork has cooked 8 hours, open lid and stir in thawed broccoli. Cover and continue to cook until broccoli is heated through, about 10 minutes.
3. Discard cinnamon and star anise. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Makes about 13 cups.