4.29.2008

Cheddar Cheese Soup


Another recipe from the Wall Drug Cookbook. This a great, one pot meal.

Cheddar Cheese Soup
~Suzette Hustead Kirby
Serves 6

1/2 cup butter
1 large onion, minced
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth or stock
3 cups milk
2 Tbsp. chopped sage leaves
2 cups (8 oz.) grated sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a 5 quart dutch oven, saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk. Stire over medium heat until soup simmers and thickens slightly. Add sage. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve topped with crushed saltine crackers.

Great with a salad or a sammie.

Cooks Note:
I think this could be made with just a couple tablespoons of butter or EVOO instead of an entire stick!
It could also be lightened up using 1% or skim milk and low fat cheese.

Family Verdict:
Hubby is on the road so this was just for me and Ian.
We both liked it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.


Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com

Jan said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

If you like Chicken Kiev Crunch, Cordon Bleu Crunch is a variation on the same recipe, except the chicken is stuffed with cheese wrapped in cooked ham.