4.28.2008

Corn Dog Casserole


We took a trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota this weekend.
We stopped at the infamous Wall Drug on our way back home.

It's the first time our son has been there.
That place has not changed since the last time hubby and I have been there, 11 years ago.
I don't think it's changed at all since the first time I visited there when I was a kid.

We had a delicious lunch there. There food was hot and fresh.

This recipe is from that cookbook.



Corn Dog Casserole

From the Wall Drug Cookbook
Second Edition
~Suzette Hustead Kirby
Serves 12

2 cups thinly sliced celery
2 Tbsp. butter, margarine or EVOO
1-1/2 cups sliced green onions
1-1/2 lbs. hot dogs
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups milk
1 can cream style corn
2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 packages (8 1/2 oz. each) cornbread/muffin mix (Jiffy)
2 cups (8 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided

In a skillet, sauté celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add onions, sauté for 5 minutes. Place in a large bowl; set aside.

Cut hot dogs lengthwise into quarters, then cut into thirds. In the same skillet, sauté the hot dogs for 5 minutes or until lightly browned; add to vegetables. Setting aside 1 cup for topping.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, corn, sage and pepper. Add the remaining hot dogs mixture. Stir in cornbread mixes. Add 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Spread into a shallow 3 quart baking dish. Top with reserved hot dog mixture and remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered at 375 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Cooks Note:
This took more like 50 minutes to bake. I am not sure why. Maybe because I used a regular size can of corn? I donno.
I baked this in the same pan I sautéd the veggies and hot dogs in.
I'm basically lazy. ;)
P.S.
I hate cheese topping that gets hard so instead of putting the cheese on top for the entire cooking time, I wait until 5 minutes before serving or let it melt as the dish is standing.
I'd have to say that the cheese in the cornbread mixture didn't really add anything to the flavor of this dish. I may leave it out next time and just add some on top.


Family Verdict:
The seemed to like it. Hubby took seconds.

No comments: