10.28.2009

Chili Un-Rellenos Casserole

I love Chili Rellenos but I never make them at home. This has all the flavors, but non of the hassle. Relleno means "stuffed" so this is an un-rellenos version.  :)

Chili Un-Rellenos Casserole

2-8 ounce cans whole green chilies, drained
1 lb. Monterrey jack cheese, shredded or sliced
6 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 cups milk
3 T shortening, melted and slightly cooled
1/4 t. salt

Layer chile's and cheese in a greased 9 x 13 " baking pan: set aside.
Whisk together eggs, flour, milk, shortening and salt: mix well and pour over cheese.
Bake, uncovered at 350 ° F. for 30 minutes or until golden.
Serves 6-8

Cooks notes: I'd make the following renditions in future preparations of this dish to suit my family's tastes.
First I would use diced chilies and I couldn't find 8 ounce cans of chilies at my store but used 4-4 oz cans instead. I might even use half of what the recipe calls for.
I would substitute butter, margarine or oil for the shortening and add a bit more salt. I would also sprinkle some sweet smoked paprika to the top for a bit of color. This was flavorful and very filling. Easy on the budget and a nice meatless meal.
I wonder how this would taste with cornbread mix instead of flour too? Betcha that would be good too. :)

Source: Fast Fix Meals Cookbook

No comments: