7.21.2009

Coleslaw - On The Lighter Side

Nothing fancy about the way I prepare my slaw.  It's just plain and simple.  Plain and simple is good.  I've lightened up the original recipe by using light mayonnaise and substituted Splenda for the sugar.


1 bag of shredded cabbage or slaw mix
3/4 cup light mayonnaise (add a little more of less, depending on how creamy you like yours.  I use a scant 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1-2 Tablespoons Splenda
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
S & P to taste

I don't care what it says on the bag.  I wash my prepackaged greens even though they say it's been washed.  Be sure to throughly dry the cabbage. 

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the cabbage.  Whisk together until creamy and combined.
Add cabbage and toss to coat.  Taste to adjust seasoning if needed.
Store in airtight container and refrigerate.
I prefer the taste of slaw when it's been refrigerated overnight to allow the flavors to meld together.
Should keep for 3 days, but it never lasts that long.  hehe


This recipe has been adapted from the Joy of Cooking cookbook.

No comments: