- 1 pound egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 1/2 pounds thin-cut, boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, large ones cut in quarters, small ones cut in half
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or EVOO
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1-2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 20 chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Place a large, covered pot of water over high heat and bring up to a boil for the egg noodles. Season water with salt and cook the noodles according to the package directions.
While the water is coming up to a boil, pre-heat a large skillet over high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about two tablespoons. Add the chicken, spreading it out in an even layer, and season with salt and pepper. Cook three minutes on each side.
In another large, pre-heated skillet, heat remaining two tablespoons of EVOO and add the mushrooms. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Once the mushrooms have browned up, season them with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Melt one tablespoon of butter or add one tablespoon of EVOO in the mushroom skillet, then add the flour. Cook for one minute and whisk in 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, the heavy cream or half-and-half and
While the mushroom skillet is coming up to a bubble, add remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock to the skillet with the chicken and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen up the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. Transfer chicken and the liquid to the skillet with the mushrooms. Stir to combine, and cook about one minute more, or until thick.
Drain and then return the noodles to the pot and add the two tablespoons of butter, a little salt, pepper, chives and parsley. Stir to melt the butter.
To serve, divide the noodles between four serving plates. Spoon the chicken and mushrooms over the noodles and garnish with chives. Serve with a green salad alongside.