Fast Chicken & Dumplings
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced on an angle
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 box buttermilk biscuit mix, such as Jiffy brand
- 1/4 cup (a handful) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
Yields: 4 servings
Place a medium-size, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Cook the bacon in the pot for 3-4 minutes, until crispy and brown then remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
To the same pot you cooked the bacon in, drizzle in the EVOO, about 2 turns, and turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the chicken to the pot and cook for 5-6 minutes, until brown on all sides, then remove it to the same plate as the bacon.
Add the onion, carrots, celery and parsnips to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, until they start to get soft. Add in the garlic and thyme, and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add in the chicken stock, the reserved bacon and chicken. Bring the mixture up to a bubble, season it up with salt and freshly ground black pepper and let simmer while you put together a roux.
Place a small skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook for 1 minute. Ladle some simmering liquid out of the pot and whisk it into the butter-flour mixture, then add the mixture into the pot with the chicken and veggies. Continue to simmer the mixture while you get the dumplings together.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the biscuit mix with the parsley and prepare according to the package directions.
When the biscuit mix is combined, gently mix the peas into the pot with the chicken, then drop spoonfuls of the biscuit mix onto the top of the simmering gravy. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook the biscuits through, 8-10 minutes. Serve it up while it’s warm and enjoy!