12.13.2007

Use & Care of your Natural Finish Lodge Cast Iron Cookware

Use & Care of your Natural Finish Lodge Cast Iron Cookware
Your new cookware will last a lifetime with proper care and seasoning. Seasoning is the process of allowing oil to be absorbed into the iron, which creates a natural non-stick, rustproof finish. It is actually a very simple process. Here's how to do it:

1. Wash new cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush.

2. Rinse and dry completely.

3. Apply a thin coat of melted vegetable shortening (i.e. Crisco) to the entire surface (including lid if applicable), both inside and out.

4. Line the lower oven rack with aluminum foil (To catch any drippings), and preheat oven to 350° F.

5. Place cookware upside down on the upper oven rack, and bake for one hour.

6. Turn oven off and let cookware cool before removing from oven.

7. Store in a cool, dry place. If you have a lid for your utensil, place a folded paper towel between the lid and the utensil to allow air to circulate.

8. NEVER wash in dishwasher.

9. If your utensil develops a metallic smell or taste or shows signs of rust, never fear. Wash with soap and hot water, scour off rust, and reseason.

After use: Clean using a stiff brush and hot water only (do not wash in dishwasher). Towel dry immediately and apply a light coating of vegetable oil to cookware while still warm.

1 comment:

hardwareman said...

Reasons I love Lodge Cast Iron Cookware:
Consistent temperature.
Lodge Cast Iron gets Hot and stays consistently Hot! If you like to sear foods when cooking nothing does it better then cast-iron. Try some extra large bacon wrapped scallops seared to perfection. I love the sound of fajitas served up
Old School.
Cast Iron cooking is old cooking even with all the changes in cooking
technology it remains one of the best cooking methods.
Homemade
Cast Iron cooking brings out the Home in Homemade. Make some cornbread in a Pyrex dish then
make some in a
href="http://www.allamericangeneralstore.com/L8CB3-Lodge-Logic-Cast-Iron-corn-bread-pan-wedged_p_3200-59108.html">Lodge cast iron cornbread skillet
.You be the judge of what taste better.
Heirloom.
Lodge Cast Iron Cookware is a generational heirloom. My grandmother gave me Lodge skillet that I remember she used to make cornbread in 30 years ago.
Character.
You could serve up a chili in a pot but when you serve it up in a Lodge Cast Iron Dutch oven it adds real character to the dish.
Wonder.
I have a cast iron skillet from the 1800 and every time I cook with it I wonder what was cooked on it some 200 years ago. I think about the early settlers coming to American. I think about early Thanks Giving meals. I think about my grandmother.
Camping.
I go camping a lot and there is nothing better then sitting around the fire slow cooking chicken gumbo in a Lodge camp Dutch overhanging over an oven fire. In the morning, I love to wake up to a cup of coffee just pored from a coffee percolator heated on an open fire. Sit around the fire and listen to the sound of bacon sizzling in my Square Lodge cast iron skillet. Camping would not be the same without my morning camping ritual with my Lodge skillet.
Care.
With most cookware, when your finished you throw it in a dishwasher and your done. Because of the seasoning ritual you do with cast iron cookware, you build a bond with your cookware. It needs you to take care if it. It becomes more then a cooking pan. It becomes part of your family "Your family dish".
Heavy.
Yes it is. When you bring it out of the cabinet it says your serious about the quality of the meal you're making. Any old pan won't do. Everything must be right. Including what you're cooking on.
Football.
I have a chicken frying pan that I take tailgating to UT football games. Everybody loves my spicy chicken wings. I fry up about 10 pounds of them at the game. In the off season when my friends come over to my house and see my fry pan we start talking football and look forward to the next game, the next tailgate party.
Collectable.
I collect baseball caps, Case Knifes, fly fishing lures, and Cast Iron cookware.
Thanks,
Don
http://www.allamericangeneralstore.com/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Cookware-Promotion_c_3200.html